Saturday, December 18, 2010

Handmade Christmas Wreath

I have been admiring all those lovely handmade yarn wreaths about town, and so I thought I would try one myself...and I must say, I am quite happy with the result! Check it out...

I started out by using a simple and inexpensive straw wreath form from the craft store. I felt that it made the wreath appear more full than the Styrofoam wreath forms. Just be sure to leave the plastic wrapping on the form or else you will have a mess! Next I chose a lovely turquoise blue yarn as my base (I just love this color with red for Christmas!). Wrapping the yarn around the wreath took me a little time, but mostly because the yarn got in some tangles! If you try this at home, don't stress yourself out at trying to get the yarn to be perfectly lined up...it's too hard and I think the result of it being a little all over the place looks more fun!

Next i took out my glue gun and started adding a fun little winter scene of some kitschy Christmas characters. These are actually plastic cupcake toppers! I also added some vintage lace and my little "merry" ticket, tied on with red and white baker's twine. I will admit, I haven't used a glue gun a lot, but it went smashingly and now I am a glue gun fanatic! I love how the hold of the glue is strong, and it's cools and holds really fast! Perfect for the impatient crafter!

To add my own little Artsy Fartsy touch, I made a Santa collage on a vintage bingo board using fabric and lace! The word "Santa" is stamped on some twill tape...you know just in case you don't know who this guy is!


"Ho Ho Ho" is written across the bottom is scrabble letters!

And to hang, I added some fun fabric with red polka dots!

Now that I have conquered this little project...I am sure I will be making more...just think of all the seasons and reasons for wreaths! The possibilities are endless!














No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails