Saturday, August 7, 2010

Home Sewn/Home Grown Fashion Study Collection

During my recent trip to Chicago I ran across this amazing fashion study collection on display in the windows of one of Columbia College's buildings on Michigan Avenue. The project was called Home Sewn/Home Grown and showed garments and images from sewing patterns ranging in age from the early 20th century to current day. It was so cool to find this as I absolutely love finding vintage sewing patterns and using the images in my collage creations. As I work to increase my sewing skills, my love for sewing clothing for myself grows with each day! Scroll down for more pixs...




I think my favorite part of the display was the huge reproductions of the vintage sewing patterns! Wouldn't these look wonderful as art on my apartment walls! I think I might try to take a vintage pattern to a copy store and see if they will let me blow it up to a poster size. I know there are copyrights on patterns, but with the really old ones I find at estate sales and thrift stores, I wonder if the copyrights become less restrictive? Anybody know? Has anyone every tried this themselves?

I also really enjoyed looking at the actual sewn garments. The creators did a great job of keeping the garments made almost completely out of white fabric so you could really see the construction of the garment, and enjoy both the simple and difficult aspects of each piece! All in all it was awesome! So if anyone is heading down to Chicago in the near future, head over to the display, located right on Michigan Avenue, in the South Loop area, and only a few doors down from The Hilton Chicago Hotel. For more information about Columbia College's Fashion Study Collection, you can also check out their website here. Sadly, it looks like you can't see the collection unless you are a student, faculty, or have special permission, but a girl can always dream can't she!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails